Tuesday 17 January 2012

Beginning the Journey South

Yesterday Sue and I parted company for the afternoon, she went for a cruise round the bay and I went fishing. We both managed to see pods of dolphins but Sue also saw the famous "Hole In The Rock" which is a rock arch and lots of the outlying islands which give the bay its name.





 I managed, at the very last moment, to catch a 6lb Kawahai (a game fish shaped a bit like a salmon) which is the largest fish I've ever caught (James Davis eat you heart out). Fishing on the boat was slow and the skipper was desperately looking for fish all afternoon.



Paihia has been excellent, the apartment is comfortable and we've managed to relax and get more used to the time zone. Today we set off south, the first overnight is at Orewa just  north of Auckland and then on to the Coromandel peninsula for a couple of nights.

One word of warning to the male readers, I advise against allowing sybaritic lifestyles to  develop, I came across this example of decadence last night and will comment no further!!




1 comment: