Sunday 15 January 2012

Paihia, Bay of Islands


Before I start on today,   I have just got to mention that last night we sat out on our balcony in the warm night air looking at a sky full of stars.  I was sure I could make out the 3 stars of Orion's  belt. By the time Alan had got the star chart up on the computer though, the cloud had come across.

This morning we had a saunter  along the  bay to the centre of the resort in glorious sunshine.  There are ferries to nearby settlements and all manner of water sports on offer.  We have each booked a trip for tomorrow afternoon.  Alan is going fishing, whilst I'm taking a cruise round some of the islands in  the bay.  I had my eye on a trip on an old fashioned sailing ship, but  these only ran on specific days - naturally not the one I wanted.  Following a potter round the gift shops and a coffee at an upper floor level with excellent views, we headed back to the apartment.  We drove the short distance to Haruru Falls and walked along the track to view them.  I think a picture might follow now that Alan has mastered this art.



 There was also a trail beside the river which we explored.  Apparently it is kiwi habitat, but we did not spot any.  All the way along we could hear cicada like insects in the undergrowth, which was dense and tangled.



No comments:

Post a Comment